All Saints contains hundreds of memorials spanning seven centuries. The memorials tell the human story of the church and the lives of those important in its history. There are memorials to families, benefactors, civic leaders and captains of industry. There are also many memorials to military men and church personnel. Visitors to All Saints can follow a free self-guided trail of the church’s most interesting memorials.
Image of Louisa Theodosia – One of our most beautiful memorials is our statue of Louisa Theodosia, Countess of Liverpool, sculpted by Sir Francis Chantrey. A fine example of Chantrey’s portrait sculpture, it has been exhibited at the Royal Academy (1824), the National Portait Gallery (1981) and the Mappin Art Gallery (1981). Born in 1767, Louisa was 28 when she married Lord Liverpool, Prime Minister 1812-1827. They lived at Coombe House in New Malden, where Louisa died following a long illness in 1821.
Image of Davidson family – These monuments are the work of Charles Regnart and John Ternouth, two distinguished sculptors. The memorial is dedicated to the Davidson family – Henry and Duncan Davidson, and Duncan’s wife, son and daughter-in-law. The Clan Davidson were from Tulloch in Scotland and were wealthy enough to own property in Scotland, Jamaica, South America and London. Although several members of the family were buried at All Saints no links to Kingston have yet been found!
Sir Anthony Benn– The tomb of Sir Anthony Benn (1570-1618), Recorder of Kingston and London, shows Benn in his lawyer’s robes. He and his wife, Jane Evelyn, lived in Norbiton Hall, Kingston. Benn was ‘Recorder’ at Kingston and later in London, an important legal position judging civil cases.
Philip Medows – This monument is by John Flaxman who was the first Professor of Sculpture at the Royal Academy (in 1810), and arguably the most important English sculptor of the period. The monument is dedicated to Sir Philip Medows (1717-1781), deputy ranger of Richmond Park and husband of Lady Frances Pierrepont, daughter of the Earl of Kingston upon Hull.
Cesar Picton – This modest memorial pays tribute to Cesar Picton who died in 1836. Cesar was six years old when he was brought from Senegal to Kingston as a servant to Sir John Philipps of Norbiton Place. Cesar was left £100 by Lady Philipps when she died, and he used the money to establish a coal merchant’s business in Kingston. By the time of his death Cesar was a wealthy man, both because of his successful business and money left to him in the wills of all three Philipps daughters.
Staunton children – This monument pays tribute to ten of Edmund Staunton’s children. Edmund Staunton was Rector at Kingston from 1633 – 1658, and was a prominent churchman who had influence with the Parliamentarians during the Civil War. The memorial records the tragic deaths of ten of his children, all during childhood. Edmund died at the age of 71 and was buried in Hertfordshire.